Monday, March 28, 2011

Birthday Week - The Crazy Dragon Pinata Making Scheme

Yoki the Fat Dragon
Grawr! GRAWR!

This coming weekend my big boy turns three years old (they grow up so fast, it seams like just yesterday I was bringing him home from the hospital) and Max Attack wants a dragon themed birthday party. No vikings, no knights, no princes JUST dragons. So dragons we will do. 

Totally inspired by DIY Fluffies' "Yoki the Fat Dragon" I am going to make a dragon pinata for the party. How can you resist this?

First I prepare my 12" party balloon with a thin layer of white glue - a tip given to me by local crafting guru Pattie Lundin whose rustic dolls are absolutely amazing. Then I stretch several damp paper towels over the balloon in a single layer and give it a few hours to dry. This will give the FastMache I plan to use to create the dragon shape something to adhere to.

While it is drying I create the head using the Yokie pattern I purchased as a template and stuff it with wrapping tissue to help it hold it's form. Tomorrow I will cover the head with Cellu Clay a sister product to the Fast Mache that is more easily molded and carved. This will be great for adding the fine details.

No comments:

Post a Comment